Colombian Senator Iván Cepeda revealed this Tuesday, November 23, that at least 22 minors have died in bombings ordered by President Iván Duque and the Ministry of Defense.
The congressman for the Democratic Pole denounced that the fatalities were 13 men, seven women and two people whose sex has been impossible to identify. He additionally pointed out that the dead youths had an average age between 15 and 17 years old, but some were between 10 and 13 years old.
Iván Cepeda said that he will present the information to Forensic Medicine to establish whether there were minors killed in the 15 remaining bombings, of which no precise information is available so far.
For the senator, the practice of carrying out air strikes in places where minors are known to be present is an act that can be classified as a war crime.
According to the Senator of the Democratic Pole, that the actions of the Ministry of Defense and President Duque have been systematic and generalized, which is why the bombings represent a war crime by subsequently violating some principles of International Humanitarian Law.
Cepeda said that the silence on the part of the Defense Ministry in relation to the bombings suggests that the number of minors killed in the bombings is much higher than that registered.
“This shows that it is a conscious policy, with a regular and not accidental basis,” added the Colombian legislator.
Following the revelations, the Colombian senator commented that they are going to examine a possible vote of no confidence against Defense Minister Diego Molano.