Lula Da Silva: Guaidó is a joke and the governments who recognize him have made a historical mistake
Lula: If Venezuela has a problem, let Venezuela find a solution. Stop sticking your nose in Venezuela’s business. How can USA, Germany, France find someone like Guaidó, a citizen who has not been elected,
2. to be president? Just because he proclaims himself to be president? Am I not to think this is wrong?
Anita Pastor: OK, the Spanish government and many other European governments look to him as the president – the one in charge.
Lula: Which I think was a historic mistake
3. for the developed world to accept an unelected citizen because he claims it for himself. Imagine if Lula were to proclaim himself president of Brazil; imagine if someone were to proclaim himself president of USA. Imagine if someone doesn’t recognise Pedro Sánchez and declares
4. himself Prime Minister of Spain. Imagine if someone proclaims himself Prime Minister of Germany. This is not democracy. In a democracy, Guaidó is a joke. He’s not serious. Now Maduro is proposing to face the USA (?), he intends to talk with the enemy, to ask that they permit
5. Venezuela to find a solution to their own problems. That’s why I was proud when I heard that my friend Zapatero understands what is happening in Venezuela, wants talks and dialogue, wants Venezuela to find its own free and democratic way. The economy can improve,
6. and Venezuela can return to peace. You can’t – we can’t invent easy ways out for democracy. Democracy is not a pact of silence. Democracy is a boiling, fermenting society, wanting more each day – wanting me in prison, but that’s democracy.
7. We need to learn this and do it willingly, do it joyfully, without hate, just democratic debate, which I think is an extraordinary thing.