Former Defense Secretary Mark Esper said that he prevented “dangerous things” from happening during his time in the Trump administration.
Esper, whose memoir “A Sacred Oath” is due for release on Tuesday, talked about his time working for former President Donald Trump during an interview on CBS’ “60 Minutes” aired on Sunday.
Speaking to host Norah O’Donnell, Esper said he wrote about his tensions with Trump because “it’s important to the republic, the American people, that they understand what was going on in this very consequential period.”
He pointed specifically to the last year of the Trump administration, saying that his memoir also tells “the story about things we prevented.”
“Really bad things. Dangerous things that could have taken the country in a dark direction,” Esper said.
In response to O’Donnell’s question about what he prevented, Esper recalled the various proposals raised during Trump’s last year in office.
According to Esper, these ideas included “proposing to take military action against Venezuela” and a possible strike on Iran.
“At one point, somebody proposed we blockade Cuba,” Esper said. “These ideas would happen, it seemed every few weeks. Something like this would come up, and we’d have to swat ’em down,” he added.
Esper elaborated that it was “mostly” him doing the swatting, although he received “good support” from Gen. Mark Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
He recalled how he and Milley even came up with a system to reject the ideas.
Former Defense Secretary Mark Esper said that he prevented "dangerous things" from happening during his time in the Trump administration., these ideas included "proposing to take military action against Venezuela" and a possible strike on Iran. pic.twitter.com/qbPoHuDSbF
— www.anoncandanga.com (@anon_candanga) May 12, 2022