Julian Assange’s extradition hearing will go ahead in February after Wikileaks founder fails to delay his legal fight against being sent to the US on spying charges
Julian Assange lost the first bout of his extradition battle today when a judge rejected his pleas for a full court hearing to be delayed.
A Ruptly videographer managed to capture exclusive footage of a clean-shaven Julian Assange being transported through the streets of London following his court hearing on Monday.
Assange, 48, spent seven years in exile in the Ecuadorian embassy in London before being handed over to British authorities who were invited into the premises to take him into custody.
Assange was filmed without the long beard he wore during his last public appearance in May when he was sentenced to 50 weeks in jail for skipping bail years previously.
Julian Assange faces extradition to the US to face 175 years in prison, a reminder of what he has leaked:
Hillary Clinton email: Israeli intelligence says the collapse of Syria will spark a Sunni-Shiite war that will benefit Israel
Wikileaks founder Julian Assange struggled to say his own name as he appeared in the dock facing extradition to the US.
The 48-year-old is wanted in the United States over claims that he was involved in the hacking and leak of a mass of classified documents in 2010 through the Wikileaks website.
But Assange says he is the victim of a politically-driven campaign by the Trump administration against journalists and whistleblowers, and claims his privileged discussions with lawyers have been spied on by the US.
Appearing at Westminstr magistrates court this morning, Assange stuttered as he struggled to tell the court his name and there was a long pause before he gave his date of birth.